Tales of Thibadeau

Welcome to Tales of Thibadeau, I hope my sweet family enjoys seeing and remembering all of our antics and adventures. There is never an ordinary day in our home, and even if there was I would want to remember every second of it. I love my family and thank Heaven for them everyday. XOXO, Selina



Tuesday, April 7, 2009

A Survivor

On April first, five years ago, Pat's sister, Tanja, discovered a lump in her breast. She was diagnosed with with Stage Three Breast Cancer and immediately underwent surgery and chemotherapy. This was followed by radiation, and later, a breast reduction. This course of treatment lasted the better part of one year, and it took longer for her to regain her full strength. She endured, never complained, and was always grateful and optimistic. She IS a living example of courage and great love.
To celebrate this great milestone in Tanja's life, Tami threw her a Survivor Party. Tami, you did fabulous and it was fun to see you let your hair down and go PINK!
Tanja, with all her girls.
Jessica is showing us how to pose with your neck extended to look skinnier.
Jessica, Hanne and Tanja. Hanne was by Tanja's side every step of the way and it was a difficult time for her to remember and talk about. As a mother, I cannot comprehend the pain she must have felt watching her daughter fight for her life.
When Tanja was diagnosed, I just recently found out I was expecting a long awaited for baby. It was a hard pregnancy and one filled with anxiety, but Tanja's courage kept me going. She finished her chemo treatments shortly before Isabella was born.
Before we knew what I was expecting (boy or girl), Pat and I decided that we wanted Tanja to name our baby. I am not sure if this responsibility added more stress to her life, but it was an honor for us. She picked the most beautiful name in the world, Isabella Bleu. (Bleu coming from a comment I made that if she named the baby Isabella I would call Bella Bleu...) I love to share this story with everyone who asks about Bella's name, especially her middle name. For this reason, I think there is a special bond between the three of us. Tanja was in the delivery room when Bella was born, I we cried tears of joy for wonderful news in the midst of a very diffcult year. Thank you, Tanja, for bringing us the gift of love when you had not much else to give. I love you, we love you.
My punk rocker Maddy and Tanja.
Tanja and her baby boy.
To celebrate, the cousins put together a skit for Tanja (and Pat, as it was his birthday). At first glance it looks like a satellite picture from Iraq, but no, just some friendly duct taping. Tami was a good sport. After she was all taped and hooded the kids told everyone that they could do anything they wanted to her. Such sweet children...
Sorry, Tanja. We must stop the party for some American Idol - have I admitted I am addicted. I am thinking about joining some sort group therapy.
Happy Five Years, Tanja. Here's to MANY more.
XOXO,
Selina

1 comment:

Munson Family said...

Wow Selina, you have been busy. Your pictures look so good, I think I need some lessons and how sweet to throw a survivor party. You whole family is creative. I just need a little Selina in me.Does that make sense?I loved all your entries.Love ya, Kim